Sunday, January 6, 2008

Driekoningendag (Epiphany)


I read that according to some cultures we're supposed to eat the sweets that we hung on our Christmas tree, while burning it in a bonfire tonight. I took mine to the side yard for easy disposal and had 2 pieces of 80% Coco chocolate bar and a decaf coffee while the kids had these crazy yummy "Milky way" hot chocolates from Dunkin Doughnuts. Close enough. I so wanted to tell you something pithy today. I have come to my epiphany for the day, but it's boring. It is simply that I'm without great soul wrenching epiphany for you today. You may think this to be a cop out, but it's not. True that this is Kings day and a time to celebrate the realization that Jesus was reveled as the Lord and King, but I was hoping to give you some actual insight I had.

There are a couple of things I have learned this year, and while I'm not coming to it from great reflection I AM coming to it from great (and sometimes painful) learning experiences. It centers around making things happen by being positive. I think it should be recognized, that being positive, doesn't mean that bad things and negative feelings aren't recognized, expressed or even that a little self indulgent sulking isn't a part of my life. Nope... being happy, day to day HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. It's knowing in your core that you can make things work out no matter what obstacle we're met with... eventually. In fact, with every obstacle I overcome, I find that I make my day to day life better, when I embrace what led me there. I really had my first experience with this in college when I wrote an operating system in my senior year. After that I said "I can do anything... maybe not as fast as others, but I can figure it out, eventually." Now as a parent, I am trying to live it: OK... So I yelled at Ryan and overreacted... Got it... will I do it again?... yes... can I eventually be a better Dad? Answer: only if I give it a try and fail a few times, and never give up. (Ryan should be 60 when I get this right)


Being negative is powerful and can give you power to not try anymore. The problem is, it robs you of your power to succeed in other areas. When I have indulged in it, I spiral down and feel like I have to dig my way out. It's easy to think at these times that there is some force working against you... there is .... it's yourself.

-Mike

2 comments:

Em & Tim said...

I'm a believer in the power of positive thinking and creating the life that we want to live. Thanks for reinforcing it, because I know I can use a reminder every now and then... Enjoy the first Monday of 2008!

Em & Tim said...

As usual, I'm late... But tomorrow is trash day and I (okay, Tim did it) just put the wreaths out at the curb side... See you next year Christmas!